How To Select A Professional Home Inspector
Common ways buyers select a home inspector.
- GreatInspectors.com web site search
- Mortgage Brokers
- Friends or family
Questions you can ask a home inspector:
- Do you work full or part time as an inspector?
- How long have you (or your company) been in business?
- How many inspections did you conduct last year?
- Do you have any special qualifications?
- Home inspectors are not licensed in some states, but some have engineering, architectural or contractor backgrounds. Membership in ASHI is a plus, as they attend continuing education on a regular basis. Ask what standards of practice they follow.
- What does your inspection cover?
- A good inspector covers all of the major mechanical and structural systems, from top to bottom.
- How long does an inspection take?
- A typical inspection will take between 2 – 4 hours, depending on size and age.
Most of all make sure you hire a home inspector who is well qualified and will work well with you.